LIVING THE DREAM: Deal, Howie!

As the trade deadline for the National Basketball Association approaches in February, gossip and rumors have reached an all-time high, and although most of the talk really is gossip, once in a while trades happen just as predicted. The goal of many teams is to shed payroll if they cannot hope to compete for the title this year, and as I’ve written in a previous article, the top teams are looking to cash in on this buyer’s market.

Several NBA contenders are looking for ways to tip the odds in their favor through the trade deadline, because losing teams want to spend less money and clear room on their salary to try and sign players like Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Paul Pierce or Amare Stoudemire. Several teams may pull the trigger on a lopsided exchange if they think it could help them lure away an All-Star this summer.

These trades look good on paper, but they hurt the fantasy value of talented players going to more talented teams. Here are five possible trades that could make sense for title hopefuls and ruin your fantasy roster.

Boston trades Ray Allen, Shelden Williams, cash considerations, two First Round Draft Picks and one Second Round Draft Picks to Golden State for Monta Ellis, Vladimir Radmonovic and Ronny Turiaf.
Allen’s contract is worth $18 million, and it expires this summer, so Golden State could wipe a chunk of payroll off the books in hopes of picking up a star in the summer.’ The Warriors also pick up a possible $3 million in cash as further incentive, and receive a number of draft picks for future talent prospects.’ The Celtics pick up another legit scoring threat, add two big men to a depleted bench and probably resign Allen after Golden State waives him, releasing him to sign with another team.

Cleveland trades Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Jamario Moon, Jawad Williams and a First Round Draft Pick to Phoenix for Amare Stoudemire and Jarron Collins.
Ilgauskas functions the same way as Allen in the previous trade, acting as cap relief and most likely released to rejoin the Cavaliers, while Moon and Williams offer a package of young, athletic talent that the Suns could groom to become rotation players next year.’ Stoudemire has a player option for next season (the player decides whether or not he wants to keep the last year of his contract), but Cleveland becomes an instant title favorite and probably thinks they can convince him to stay. The Cavs front line, including Stoudemire, would all take a hit statistically, and the Suns would create a logjam of backup swingmen, making them all irrelevant in the Fantasy realm.

Portland trades Steve Blake, Travis Outlaw and Martell Webster to Detroit for Richard Hamilton and DaJuan Summers.
This is the least likely scenario, as word everywhere is that Portland is content where they are and aren’t looking to make a deal. However, a solid swingman that can be counted on in crunch time could boost Portland come playoff time, and Hamilton has a lot of experience winning in Detroit.’ The Pistons pick up a true point guard in Steve Blake, but then give less minutes to their other guards, primarily Rodney Stuckey and Ben Gordon. Webster adds a young defender with solid range, and Outlaw is emerging as a potentially potent combo forward.’ Despite their immense talent, Outlaw could clash with rotation mainstay Tayshaun Prince and rookie Jonas Jerebko, so one of them would probably be moved before next season.

Phoenix trades Amare Stoudemire and Leandro Barbosa to Miami for Quentin Richardson, Udonis Haslem, Dorrell Wright and James Jones.’ Phoenix also acquires Mario Chalmers through a trade exception.

A trade exception is a cash amount a team pays to make an unbalanced trade, because the values sent must be within 125 percent of the values brought in.’ Phoenix received a $2 million exception when they traded Shaq this summer, and can use this cash to get a player worth $2 million or less.’ Phoenix seems likely to part with Stoudemire and would likely want young talent and salary relief in return.’ Chalmers and Wright represent youth, while Richardson and Haslem are on expiring deals and can contribute right away, at the expense of starting forward Grant Hill.’ Jones adds depth at forward, but is mainly used for financial reasons in this trade, so his value is unlikely to change. Stoudemire and Barbosa give Miami depth while keeping their cap space intact, and could up their chances in the playoffs while not really changing in Fantasy value.

Houston trades Tracy McGrady, Aaron Brooks, Joey Dorsey and three First Round Draft Picks to Toronto for Chris Bosh, Jose Calderon and Sonny Weems.
If Toronto moves Bosh before the deadline, this is how I think they do it. McGrady gives them $22 million in cap relief, Brooks is a very talented young guard at a cheap price, and Dorsey and the First Round Picks allow Toronto to rebuild around a Brooks-Andrea Barngani-Hedo Turkoglu core. Bosh goes home to his native Texas and turns the Rockets into instant contenders while not taking any Fantasy value away from Houston’s roster. Calderon and Brooks basically switch places for financial reasons and age discrepancy, and Toronto’s front line will be forced to produce much more without Bosh in the middle.

Keep an eye out for trades like these, because it may be best to move a player who could drop in value before they get hosed, and if nothing happens to them, you’ll still be fine as long as you received fair value in return. Good luck and happy gaming!