UNI student arrested for extortion

NORTHERN IOWAN STAFF, Staff

A University of Northern Iowa student was arrested after attempting to extort sex from a woman via Snapchat.

Christian Albert Gossweiler of Mason City, an 18-year-old freshman at UNI, was arrested on Aug. 22 on an account of extortion. According to the Courier, he was later released from jail pending trial. 

According to court records, the victim stated she previously had sent nude photos and videos to Gossweiler, by his request. After that instance, Gossweiler continued asking for more, threatening to post the videos and photos already in his possession online if she did not send more.

The woman was frightened by Gossweiler and the threats, and believed that he would go through with posting the already existing photos and videos if she did not comply. 

Gossweiler told the victim that if she would have sex with him under the condition that he would cease threatening to post the content, and he would stop asking for more, records state.

UNI Police continued to communicate with the defendant via the victim’s cell phone and set up a time and place for them to supposedly meet up and have sex.

Records state that Gossweiler showed up at the designated location, and admitted to communication with the victim and was placed under arrest.