Men perform for autism funding

Eight men showcased their talents and donned formal wear for an interview Monday night as part of Alpha Xi Delta’s fourth annual Xi Man Competition, a pageant that raises money for Autism Speaks.

Autism Speaks is the world’s leading autism science and advocacy organization, according the its website. Alpha Xi Delta began a partnership with Autism Speaks five years ago, and has since raised $2,000,000 for the organization.

“We are all up here raising money for autism. It is a great cause,” said Garrett Harris, winner of the competition.

To win, Harris had to impress the three judges with his rendition of Lee Brice’s “I Drive Your Truck” for the talent portion, an original UNI cheer and his answers to two interview questions. He and the other competitors also participated in a group dance to Pharrell Williams’ song “Happy.”

Over 100 people were in attendance, cheering on the competitors. They gave money to their favorites, and the Xi Man that collected the most money was crowned the People’s Choice. Joshua Pannhoff, sophomore communications major, took home the honor.

“Winning is a wonderful thing, but I think when you add winning for such a good cause and in turn raising money, it just heightens that feeling a thousand times,” Pannhoff said.

In high school, Pannhoff said he worked with mentally and physically disabled people. He said he was glad to “do a good service and have fun” by participating in the competition.

As an intermission, Alpha Xi Delta played a philanthropy video that highlighted the increasing statistics of autism.

“It used to be one in 88 people were affected; they just updated it so now it is one and 68,” said Whitney Cook, philanthropy chair and organizer of the event “It is a growing epidemic and it keeps coming, so it is really important to contribute to it.”