Miller presents “Self!” to UNI

An eager audience of about 110 took their seats in the Bertha Martin Theatre, awaiting the beginning of performer Tim Miller’s event “Performance! Body! Self!”

“All of my work has really been about inscribing the topographies of my identity as a gay man,” Miller said.

The artist staged three performances and introduced them all by giving a small anecdote for each one.

In his rhetoric and performances, Miller covered personal topics, including his start as a performing activist, the legal battles he and colleagues of queer artists have faced and the scars people gain, both metaphorically and physically.

Despite the heavy topics, Miller injected comedy into his stories, garnering chuckles and laughter from the audience.

“In a way, (the comedy) is placating to kind of seduce the audience. The humor is a way to get the audience comfortable with the performance,” Miller said.

Miller’s first performance was an artistic description of his life, beginning when he was sperm. Miller also shared the lessons he learned when performing in a punk band with only two guitar chords and when starting out as a performer.

His second and favorite performance was inspired by his work with elementary schools, which he believes is a formative time in children’s understanding of social justice.

When he was 9 years old, Miller had a childhood friend whom he wanted to marry. When Miller expressed this interest, his friend held him down and forced him to take it back by giving him an Indian burn. Unbeknownst to Miller’s friend, Miller had crossed his fingers and promised to never take it back.

“I have a special fondness for that 9-year-old boy story. Kids’ ability to survive always impresses me. It’s quite a hopeful piece,” Miller said.

Miller’s last performance was inspired by the stories a body’s scars tell and the many times his hands have been slapped. It ended up being a crowd favorite.

“I think it really embodies his life journey and how far we’ve come, but also why social justice is important in general,” said Hunter Thompson, junior philosophy and communications double major.

Though the crowd was smaller than expected, Karen Mitchell, communications professor, was satisfied with the group.

“I thought this was a good crowd, especially considering it’s the last week of classes, so close to finals and cold,” Mitchell said. “I thought maybe we’d have a few more, but I also thought that everyone that was here wanted to be here,” she said.

Miller shared the sentiment, believing that the audience was heavily invested in his performances.

After the event, Miller hosted a question-and-answer session followed by a reception outside of the auditorium, where he sold a few copies of his books, “1,001 Beds: Performances, Essays, and Travels” and “Body Blows: Six Performances.”