Under Construction

23rd Street is about to get a face lift.

The section of 23rd Street extending from College Street to the Lang A parking lot is currently under construction as the first phase of a 12-week project that will extend to the Multimodal Transportation Center in its second phase.

The construction is a completion of the College Hill streetscaping project, which began with work on College Street two years ago.

Work on the project began on May 19th, and will involve removing existing pavement, installing a new water main, doing some repairs to the storm sewer and putting in a completely new street.

According to Dave Lipinski, a civil engineer for the City of Cedar Falls, streetscaping will follow the construction.

“It will take on more of a college hill theme” with brick sidewalks and trees, he said.

Adam Haselhuhn, coordinator of the College Hill Partnership, is excited for the completion of the streetscaping.

“I think it’s absolutely great for the entire College Hill area,” Haselhuhn said. “I think it’s really going to help to revitalize the neighborhood. I think it really spruces it up, gives it a facelift that it’s needed for a while now. And I’m just really glad because it makes it look like a nice, friendly area to visit and work and play and do whatever you want.”

According to Lipinski, all businesses on 23rd Street are open and accessible during the construction.