Flu shots offered on campus

Students can get flu shots on campus on five different dates in the next few weeks.

PEXELS

PEXELS

JOSHUA DAUSENER, News Editor

Students considering getting a flu shot for this year’s flu season have five upcoming opportunities to get one, courtesy of the 2018 Flu Clinic program hosted by the UNI Student Health Clinic.

Students can receive  flu shots on Tuesday, Oct. 16 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Student Health Clinic, Wednesday, Oct. 24 from 11:00 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Redeker Center Lounge, Thursday, Oct. 25 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Student Health Clinic, Tuesday, Oct. 30 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Wellness and Recreation Center Hall of Excellence and Tuesday, Nov. 6 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Student Health Clinic.

According to UNI’s website, the Student Health Clinic will file a claim with the student’s health insurance company if they have health insurance. Uninsured students will be required to pay $30 for a flu shot.

The flu shots are walk-in and require no prior appointment.

The Student Health Clinic did not respond to request for comment.

According to the Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) website, flu vaccinations have been proven to reduce flu infection rates and reduce the severity of the illness in those who get vaccinated but still get the flu.

Senior physics education major Tyler Brown was previously unaware of the flu shot program but said that he now plans on getting an on-campus flu shot now that he is aware of the program.

“It’s a wonderful idea,” said Brown. “High density, high population and all,” citing the ease with which infectious disease can spread in a densely-populated environment such as UNI.

Senior health science major Dani Schultes said that she was aware of the flu shots being offered on campus, and plans on receiving one after getting over a sinus infection.

UNI’s website notes that students can also recieve a flu shot at “Hy-Vee, CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, or their family doctor.”

Students with questions or who would like additonal information are encouraged to contact the Student Health Clinic at [email protected]

More information on the flu can be found at health.uni.edu/flu.