Khat and Cole lead UNI to fifth place at MVC meet

FRANK WALSH, Sports Writer

The UNI cross country teams are determined to strive for greatness.

The Panthers’ endurance was put to the test at the Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) championship meet on Saturday, Oct. 27 in Peoria, IL.

The Panthers were able to place fifth in both the men’s and women’s competitions.

On the men’s side, Wal Khat, a junior from Mooseheart, IL, placed eighth.

“I enjoy cross country because it keeps me in great shape and it is a great lifestyle,” said Khat. He ran a 24:24.20 and was named to the all-conference team for his performance.

Alex Jackson finished behind Khat in 26th place with a time of 25:20.40. CJ May clocked in with a 25:39.80 for 30th place, as Drake Henrichs ran a 25:50.70 for 37th and Logan Murray finished just behind Henrichs in 38th place with a 25:53.50.

“I gave my best effort in Peoria and overall everyone on the team put forth their best effort as well,” Khat said.  “I am very proud of my teammates CJ (May), Alex (Jackson), Drake (Henrichs) and Logan (Murray) because they did a phenomenal job as well.”

On the women’s side, sophomore McKayla Cole also had a good finish in 12th place, clocking in with a time of 17:45.40.  Cole was able to capitalize her great performance with an honorable mention from the MVC.

Gabby Champion finished 46 seconds behind her to take 19th place. Tess Roorda followed her just a few seconds after in 23rd, while Alyssa Williams finished with a time of 18:18.70 for 27th. Gabby Skopec rounded out the top five for UNI with a 18:24.90 in 30th place.