Panther Pep Crew pumps up UNI fans

“A predator has been seen stalking the nation… here come the Panthers!”

Through a sea of purple and gold pom-poms, instruments and cheerleaders, a pack of three students carry the “U,” “N” and “I” proudly across the field. Ever wonder who those guys are? Or how they got out there?

An elite group of Panther fans has begun. The Panther Pep Crew has officially received recognition and a type of funding (in the form of purple and gold overalls) this year. Consisting of about 12 students, the group is made of students who have “shown dedication to UNI athletics in the past or show promise for the future,” explained Aaron Eechaute-Lopez, a member of the crew.

While it may sound like a fun and easy deal, Eechaute-Lopez stressed the responsibility each member has as a part of the crew. They see themselves as a marketing tool to get the word out about Panther athletics.

Their goal is simple: to get attendance up as much as possible, keep the fans riled up and to provide leadership in the student section.

Thus, you’ll often see members of the crew running the flag across the football field, occupying the front rows of student sections or donning fluorescent purple wigs.

Eechaute-Lopez, the self-proclaimed “Purple Wig Guy,” has been part of the three students to lead the pack through the purple and gold tunnel.

“It was extremely exciting but very nerve racking. To be the ‘U,’ you lead out the football team. In front of thousands of people, I was able to show how proud I was to be a Panther,” he said.

Other crew members include Eric Batcher, Emily Smith, Sarah Graf, Michael Perez, Andrew Christenson, Nick Canby, Andrew Cruse and Katie Alderson. The crew presently consists of mainly juniors and seniors with a passion for beginning a Panther tradition equal to that of fellow Hawkeyes and Cyclones.

Eechaute-Lopez stressed the importance of good sportsmanship and a drive to stand out in a crowd. To be a part of the group, one “needs to enjoy being different and being looked up to…or at,” added Eechaute-Lopez.

With many members of the crew graduating in the upcoming years, replacements will be needed in the future.