Redbirds snap Panthers’ MVC winning streak at 13

With four matches remaining before the conference tournament, UNI (19-8) has fallen behind Illinois State in the Missouri Valley Conference standings by one half game.

COURTESY PHOTO/UNI Athletics

FRANK WALSH, Sports Writer

The UNI volleyball team will not have an unbeaten conference record in 2018.

After a strong 12-0 start to Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) play, the Panthers league winning streak came to an end against the Illinois State Redbirds by a match score of 20-25, 26-24, 14-25, 25-22 and 11-15 on Nov. 3 in Normal, Ill.

Even though the match resulted in a loss, the Panthers were able to force the match into a five-set showdown, determined not to lose without showing incredible effort.

Piper Thomas put up strong numbers on the stat sheet against the Redbirds and had a total of 21 kills. Thomas was also able to showcase her defensive capabilities by having eight blocks as well.

Sophomore Jaydlin Seehase was also able to put up incredible numbers as well. Seehase had a total of 14 kills as part of her excellent offensive ability on the court.

Junior Karlie Taylor also played well, as she was able to get a total of 13 kills and four blocks.  

This was Taylor’s second match back on the court for UNI after a non-contact injury in practice a few weeks ago.

Rachel Koop ended the match with a towering 51 assists to help the team throughout the night.

Illinois State’s offensive attack was too strong for the Panthers as the Redbirds outnumbered UNI in the kill total 67-65. The purple and gold also struggled as they committed 33 total team errors.

Despite the loss, the Panthers season will continue with two home matches remaining in the regular season.

The first remaining home match is against the Missouri State Bears on Friday, Nov. 9, with the home finale on Saturday, Nov. 10, versus the Southern Illinois Salukis.