‘Islam 101’ seeks to inform

UNSPLASH

The Muslim Student Association is hosting “Islam 101” to inform students about the Muslim faith on Wednesday, Nov. 14.

NICOLE BAXTER, Staff Writer

Love, unity, equality and peace — all are central characteristics of the Islamic faith and will be central topics at “Islam 101,” hosted by the Muslim Student Association (MSA). 

On Wednesday, Nov. 14, MSA will welcome guest speakers to lead a discussion about the faith and the history of Islam in America. The event will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Maucker Union Ballroom C.

Nadir Khan, president of MSA, said the main purposes of the event is to educate people about what Islam really looks like and show them that UNI is a welcoming place for all. 

“It’s a diverse event,” Khan said. “It shows inclusivity — and MSA always tries to make sure we do that.”

The speakers on Wednesday evening will be Dema Kazkaz, president at Al-Noor in Waterloo and Miriam Amer, founder of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)-Iowa. 

According to Khan, Kazkaz will speak about the Hijab, building community, understanding identity and broad perspectives of Islam. 

“She is going to show how different religions and identities can come together to work for humanity,” said Khan. 

Amer will address topics primarily about Islam in America. She will educate people about jihad and the associated stereotypes, as well as religious fasting.

“Overall,” said Khan, “our sole focus will be educating people about Islam.”

The event will feature custom buttons for attendees with words MSA believes reflect Islamic values. Khan said the purpose behind the buttons is to help people better define what Islam is and what it stands for. 

Refreshments for the evening will be provided, free of charge, by Mirch Masala, a local Indian restaurant. 

MSA recently received the ‘Student Organization of the Month’ award in October, a distinction given by the office of Student Life. 

The student organization has been an active club on campus since 1987. 

MSA invites all to attend. For more information, see the club’s Facebook page.