Panther women unable to turn up heat on Creighton

The University of Northern Iowa women’s basketball team lost a low-scoring battle to Creighton University on Saturday by a score of 54-40. The Panthers (8-10, 3-3 MVC) scored a season low in points while shooting just 25 percent from the field.

The Bluejays held on to the lead the entire game as the Panthers never got a scoring run put together.

The Panthers did not score in the opening five minutes of action, and didn’t get on the scoreboard until sophomore Sharnae Lamar hit a two-point jumper to get the Panthers started offensively.

UNI scored more consistently throughout the remainder of the first half as they went into the locker room down 24-21.

UNI freshman Hannah Schonhardt made sure the Panthers didn’t open the second half on another scoring drought as she hit a 3-pointer to bring the score to 27-25 in favor of the Bluejays.

However, Creighton went on a 10-2 run to extend their lead to 37-27 led by senior Ally Jensen. Jensen finished with a game-high 10 rebounds to go along with her six points.

UNI redshirt freshman Jen Keitel made the second to last Panther field goal with just under 10 minutes left in regulation.

The Panthers scored only from the free-throw line until Schonhardt ended the field goal drought with just 33 seconds left.

Schonhardt finished the game with nine points and a team-high nine rebounds.

The Panthers made just five field goals in the second half as they shot just 19 percent. Senior Jacqui Kalin was not scoring at her usual pace and effectiveness as she shot just 2-for-14 without making any shots from long range.

Kalin finished with nine points, which tied her season low in the scoring department, along with eight rebounds.

CU freshman Marissa Janning scored a game-high 12 points off the bench while junior Sarah Nelson added 11 points and seven rebounds.

The Panthers faced the Drake University Bulldogs Sunday afternoon in Des Moines. For a recap of Sunday’s game, pick up Friday’s issue of the Northern Iowan.