Panthers above .500 after victory

The University of Northern Iowa women’s basketball team cruised to a 70-59 victory against Loyola University Chicago Sunday afternoon. The Panthers combined a 44.8 field goal percentage, a perfect 9-9 from the free-throw line and spurts of strong defense to keep the Ramblers from climbing back into contention.

UNI was able to shoot nearly 40 percent from behind the arc as well, making for one of the more well-rounded performances of the season, according to UNI head coach Tanya Warren.

“I thought it was a great team effort,” Warren said. “We did a very good job of making (Loyola) earn their points, and that was one of the emphases coming into this game.”

Warren also lauded her team for finding a balance on offense that wasn’t present earlier in the season.

“What you saw earlier in the year was relying on the (3-point shot) probably a little too much, and now we’re able to get the basketball inside and play from inside-out,” Warren said. “What I really like about this team is that they’re very good at sharing the basketball, and the beauty of it is that you’ll never know who’s going to be our leading scorer.”

UNI guard Stephanie Davison took that honor on Sunday, scoring 19 points on 7-15 from the floor, including 2-5 from 3-point range. Davison and the Panthers shot lights out in the first half, recording a 53.3 field goal percentage and going 50 percent from behind the arc. The Panthers never allowed the Ramblers to obtain a lead throughout the game.

The steady play from UNI was not enough to offset a third straight double-double for Loyola forward Troy Hambric. Hambric accrued a game-high 25 points and 10 rebounds even after sustaining an ankle injury late in the first half.

“We knew (Hambric) was going to get hers, but I thought we made her earn everything,” Warren said.

The win brought the Panthers to a 10-9 overall record and a 6-2 conference record. It is the first time all season UNI has owned a winning record. The women’s team will look to keep things rolling against Drake University on Sunday. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m. in the McLeod Center.