Panthers fall in second round of WNIT

With a win against Indiana State University in the quarterfinals and a semifinals loss to Wichita State University in the Missouri Valley Conference tournament, the University of Northern Iowa was able to secure a spot in the Women’s National Invitational Tournament.

The Panthers (17-17, 10-8 MVC) began the WNIT with a 61-59 win over the University of Marquette that set up a matchup with the Ball State University Cardinals, to whom they lost 53-48.

The Panthers’ defense was strong throughout the game as they held the Cardinals to 32 percent shooting, but the Panthers attempted a season-high 35 3-pointers while hitting just nine. The lack of 3-point shooting ultimately made the difference in the Panthers’ loss.

UNI hit three 3-pointers, all from different players, to jump out to an early 11-2 lead.

The Cardinals’ scoring drought ended with a 3-pointer from sophomore Brittany Carter as they put together an 11-0 run to give themselves a two-point lead.

Redshirt senior guard Jacqui Kalin knocked out another 3-pointer to help the Panthers regain the lead with just over six minutes remaining in the half. An and-one layup from sophomore Brittni Donaldson with no time remaining on the clock gave the Panthers a 26-22 lead heading into the locker room for halftime. Donaldson finished the game with nine points off the bench.

Kalin’s scoring continued after the break as she scored five straight points to extend the lead to 31-26. The 3-pointers continued to fall for the Panthers as senior guard Mercedees Morgan and Donaldson connected on back-to-back jumpers. Redshirt freshman guard Stephanie Davison’s layup gave the Panthers their largest lead of the game at 39-30.

The Cardinals continued to answer the Panthers by making baskets and gradually chipping away at the deficit, as the Panthers failed to score during the final three minutes of the game.

A jumper from Carter gave the Cardinals their first lead of the game since just under the five minute mark in the first half. Carter finished with 16 points and six rebounds on the afternoon.

Kalin failed to connect on the game tying 3-pointer and the Panthers were forced to foul. Kalin finished with 13 points, nine rebounds and six assists during her final game as a Panther.

The Cardinals did not miss from the free-throw line down the stretch as they made their last four shots in a row.

Freshman Nathalie Fontaine scored a game-high 17 points and added nine rebounds.

BSU shot 19-26 from the free throw-line for the game.

The Panthers will return three starters and three role players next year as they look to improve on their .500 record.