Panthers lose by 20

The University of Northern Iowa women’s basketball team was unable to pick up where they left off against Saint Louis University, as they suffered a loss Tuesday to the University of South Dakota. UNI was within single digits of the Coyotes for a good portion of the first half until USD went on a 15-2 scoring run with only 5 minutes, 53 seconds left in the half.

USD led 35-22 at halftime.

UNI’s season-long struggle beyond the arc continued as the Panthers missed all eight of their 3-point attempts in the first half. The Panthers shot 5-15 from the line in the second half to finish with a 21.7 3-point percentage. UNI came as close as 11 points in the second half, but ultimately never came within single digits of USD again. The Panthers fell 87-67.

Forward Jen Keitel led the team in scoring with 16 points and recorded a career-high five blocks on the night. Guard Madison Weekly was the only other Panther to score in double digits, ending her night with 11 points. It was the third game in a row that Weekly managed to score 10 or more points. Forward Hannah Schonhardt flirted with a double-double on Tuesday as well, recording eight points and a team-high six rebounds for the game.

UNI is now 3-7 on the season. The Panthers will square off against Northern Illinois University Dec. 21 with hopes of turning their season around before the new calendar year. Tipoff is set for 1 p.m.