Wrestling competes at SDSU and Nebraska

FRANK WALSH, Sports Writer

The Northern Iowa wrestling team competed last weekend against South Dakota State University and the University of Nebraska.

The Panthers traveled to Brookings, S.D. in order to grapple with the Jackrabbits. Northern Iowa was able to defeat South Dakota State with a score of 30-10. This win puts the Panthers 2-0 in Big 12 duals.

At 125 pounds, Jacob Schwarm had an explosive win to begin the weekend duals. Schwarm was able to get a pin against Gregory Coapstick in 1:45. This quick pin gave the Panthers a 6-point lead.

Jack Skudlarczyk, a young but gritty wrestler at 133 pounds, was also able to get a win over Spencer Huber of SDSU. Skudlarczyk is currently a freshman and showcased his capabilities by defeating his opponent by decision with a score of 9-3.

Josh Alber, at 141 pounds, was able to continue his winning streak after a victory at The Midlands tournament by garnering a tech-fall against Aric Williams.

At heavyweight, Izaak Shedenhelm was able to get his very first win competing at this weight class. Shedenhelm is more familiar with competing at 197 pounds, but due to Carter Isley’s injury, Shedenhelm was bumped up to heavyweight. Shedenhelm was able to power through the weight change and defeated Blake Wolters 3-1.

Following their matchup with the Jackrabbits, the UNI men took on the University of Nebraska. The Panthers ultimately fell to the 11th ranked Cornhuskers, 22-12.

Skudlarczyk once again picked up a clutch win against Jevon Parrish in a heated overtime match. Skudlarczyk is currently running with a three-match win streak.

Alber continued his winning ways, taking a 6-4 decision over Nebraska’s Chad Red, who ranks 20th in the nation at the 14-pound weight.

Max Thomsen was able to top Collin Purinton in a decision, 11-4. Thomsen is currently ranked eighth in the nation in the 149-pound division.

The 174-pound Taylor Lujan was also able to win his match against ninth ranked opponent Mikey Labriola. This was Lujan’s highest ranked opponent whom defeated on the year.

The Panthers will travel to Columbia, Mo. to take on the University of Missouri at 7 p.m. on Jan 17. The Tigers are currently the fifth ranked team in the country.