Politics put a black eye on Olympics

Olympians spend their whole lives training for that one special moment when the world focuses its spotlight on them and they take pride in representing their country. Such pressure causes a drama unrivaled by most athletic events, most which still can’t hold a candle, let alone a torch, to the greatness involved with the Olympics.

The fact that the Olympics don’t come around every year is what makes them so special. For two weeks every four years we get to enjoy a wide variety of athletic events performed by outstanding athletes from all kinds of remarkable backgrounds. But this year, a dark cloud hovers over this historic event: politics.

For people who simply want to enjoy the games for what they are, unfortunately, this year’s Winter Olympics feature a tug of war fight between Russian laws and lesbian gay bisexual and transgender rights. This has taken the attention away from the athletes and their respected sports and has placed it upon their safety while staying in Sochi, Russia, for the games.

The main cause of instigation among the feuding parties started earlier this year when the Russian government banned the dissemination of “propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations” around children, making it difficult for gay activists to operate.

Russian President Vladimir Putin also signed a law earlier this year prohibiting gay and lesbian couples in foreign countries from adopting Russian children. This has caused an uproar among most gay right movements.

Safety is becoming a top concern for participating athletes as the games near. Although Russia’s Associated Press has stated they will have over 50,000 police officers and soldiers on hand for security, one can only hope the threats don’t take away from the games themselves and the performances of the participants.

However, the mental psyche of the athletes isn’t the only thing affected by the threats surrounding the games. Taking pride in one’s country could also lose a sense of presence.

U.S. officials have warned athletes not to display team colors too prominently and to not wear Team USA gear outside Olympic venues. It really makes you wonder how these games will have that same Olympic feel when even the athletes are told not to wear their country’s flag without caution.