1st annual UNI Triathlon coming in April

UNI Women’s Swimming and Diving will host the first annual UNI Triathlon on April 28. Event registration is open to both UNI students and community members of all ages.

ELIZABETH KELSEY, News Editor

For UNI students and community members looking for a little competition, the UNI Women’s Swimming and Diving team has the perfect event.

The team will host the first annual UNI Triathlon on Sunday, April 28, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

According to head swimming coach Nick Lakin, the event is intended as both a fundraiser for the women’s swimming and diving team, as well as an opportunity to bring the community to campus.

“We were looking for maybe some ways to help our program financially, and we thought this would be a great opportunity for the community and for students to get involved,” Lakin said. “We thought that we’re one of the few places who has a really good setup for that time of year.”

The 200-yard swim will take place in the Glen F. Henry eight-lane pool in UNI’s Wellness and Recreation Center. From there, participants will bike 15 miles across campus and the city of Cedar Falls, primarily on 27th Street, and will conclude with a 3.1-mile run on campus.

The event is sanctioned by USA Triathlon, the national governing body for triathlons (and other races such as duathlon and aquathon) in the United States. According to the organization’s website, USA Triathlon sanctions more than 4,300 races each year.

Because this is a USA Triathlon-sanctioned race, participants must be members of USA Triathlon. For those who are not already members, a one-day membership can be purchased on-site for $15, in addition to the entrance fee for the triathlon itself.

For UNI students, faculty and staff, the cost to enter the race is $50, which will remain constant up until registration closes on Sunday, April 2, a week before the event. For community members, the cost of entrance increases as the event draws nearer: the fee is $75 for the month of March and $85 from March 31 to April 21.

Participants may also register in teams if they feel more confident in one of the three disciplines and want to split the events among several participants. The cost for each relay team is $100.

All ages can participate in the event, although parents of minors will be responsible for helping their children finish the race. Lakin said that prizes will be offered for the winners, as well as participation gifts for all racers.

Bikes will be available for rent on the day of the event, with more information coming soon, according to Lakin.

“Other than that, you just need a swimsuit and a pair of sneakers,” he said.

Lakin said that students and community members should visit the Facebook page “UNI Triathlon” (@UNITRI2019) for more information and to sign up.

Lakin and the team are excited to see what this first annual race will bring.

“It’s definitely a different event that will hopefully bring something new to campus,” he said.