Library exhibit explores WWI impact

SOFIA LEGASPI, Campus Life Editor | [email protected]

A special exhibition titled “World War I: Lessons and Legacies” is on display in the Rod Library Learning Commons now through Saturday, Feb. 15.

A series of eight posters explore the history of the war and its legacy in the United States. The poster exhibit appears courtesy of the Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service and the National Museum of American History and is funded by the U.S. World War I Centennial Commission and the Smithsonian Women’s Committee.

In addition, several World War I artifacts are on display from the UNI Museum, along with documents and photos from the Special Collections and University Archives illustrating the war’s impact on students at UNI (then the Iowa State Teachers College).

Two lectures will be hosted in conjunction with the exhibit, both held in the LIB 301. Associate History Professor Emily Machen will present “Warriors, Caregivers, and Patriots: Women’s Experiences in the First World War” at noon on Wednesday, Jan. 22, followed by a Special Collections and University Archives open house from 1 to 3 p.m. in LIB 340. Associate History Professor Thomas Connors will give another lecture at noon on Wednesday, Jan. 29, titled “For the Fallen: Military Cemeteries of the Western Front.”