Black History Month with BSU

SOFIA LEGASPI and ALEX JOHNSON

UNI’s Black Student Union (BSU) will host several events this February in observation of Black History Month.

The first event is the BSU Kickoff on Monday, Feb. 3 from 12 to 2 p.m. in Maucker Union. BSU Secretary Laito Zarkpah, a third-year political science major, described the kick-off as a “flash mob/peaceful protest.” The event will “increase awareness of the culture, various challenges, and achievements of the people in the black community,” according to event publicity.

The following day on Feb. 4, students will be able to share and observe poetry and creative dance during “Poetic Justice,” held in the Maucker Union Hemisphere Lounge from 7 to 10 p.m. The event, Zarkpah explained, will allow contestants to voice their emotions through poetry, as well as compete for a first place prize. Students will be able to further express themselves during the BSU Awards talent show in Lang Hall on Friday, Feb. 7 from 6 to 8 p.m.

The ever-popular BSU Skate Party will take place on Saturday, Feb. 15 in the Wellness and Recreation Center basketball courts from 6 to 9 p.m. BSU President Paris Haywood, third-year business marketing major, emphasized this years’ glow-in-the-dark theme and R&B music. Some skates will be provided.

On Tuesday, Feb. 18, black and educated (BAE) professionals will gather in the Maucker Union ballrooms to speak about their journeys through the educational system, challenges faced with earing their degrees and struggles with white-washed history.

The first floor of Lang Hall will be converted into the “Tunnel of Oppression” from 6 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 20. Participants will learn about the range of oppressions African-Americans face, such as micro-aggression and colorism, “through depictions of scenes and scenarios from various time periods,” event publicity reads.

“[Even] if you don’t go to anything else, go to the Tunnel of Oppression” Zarkpah said.

The Gift of Life Church in Waterloo invites UNI community members to a church service followed by a “Soul Food Dinner” at 11 a.m. on Sunday, Feb. 23. BSU will provide transportation from campus to the church.

A final Black History Month event titled “Toast for Change” will be held in the Commons Ballroom from 5 to 8 p.m. on Sunday, March 1. The event will recognize graduating BSU members and thank sponsors, advisors and members for their efforts to create positive change on UNI’s campus.

More information can be found on the organization’s Facebook page UNI BSU, Twitter and Instagram @UNIBSU or by emailing [email protected].