UNI Teacher Fair to be held in GBPAC

COURTESY PHOTO

UNI’s annual Teacher Fair is this Saturday, March 7 in the Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center. Students will have the opportunity to mingle with representatives from over 70 school districts at the recruitment event.

ANTHONY WITHEROW, Campus Life Editor

Current and future educators are welcome to attend the annual UNI Teacher Fair on Saturday, March 7 at the Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center. The event is free and has attracted more than 70 school districts from across the country and more than 300 teachers.

Student attendees can expect a quick check-in at the beginning of the event, where they will be given time to look over materials and receive tips from officials. Students will be given a list of schools and where they will be located in the area. From 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., students will be allowed to traverse the fair to network and schedule interviews with the schools. Interviews at the fair will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m..

“This starts as a connection piece,” said College of Education Employer Relations Coordinator Kayla Stafford. “There definitely are job offers right at the fair, but sometimes they follow up with a second-round interview or third-round interview. Sometimes schools will take their resumes and follow up with teachers later, so there’s a lot of connections that occur.”

Many UNI students will be looking to the Teacher Fair for employment in the education field post-graduation. The fair offers a multitude of employment opportunities for the 2020-2021 school year. UNI’s Career Services website provides many tips for students to prepare to the best of their ability.

“Look at the registered schools and have ideas as to schools that they’re interested in,” Stafford said. “Maybe even look at school websites to see the different openings that they might be interested in. Have your resume done. Having that resume to hand out, bringing extra copies depending on how many schools you want to talk with.

“Cover letters aren’t a bad idea either. You can have a general cover letter to hand to all districts, or if you know there’s a specific school district you’re interested in, you could certainly have specific detailed cover letters. Come professionally dressed. It is a professional event, so we’re talking blazers, ties, dresses, comfortable shoes as you’re walking around.”

The Career Services Office at 102 Gilchrist will have walk-in hours all week in preparation for the fair. Students can come in with their resumes for critique, as well as email their resumes or cover letters to [email protected].