UNI Opera students present “In The Studio”

• Students in the UNI Opera department presented a virtual performance on Tuesday, April 27.

CAROLINE CHRISTENSEN, Executive Editor

UNI Opera, in collaboration with the UNI Gallery of Art, presented their online video performance “In the Studio” on Tuesday, April 27 over livestream under the direction of Richard Gammon and vocal coach Korey Barrett.

Although COVID-19 has limited performances this semester, students, staff and faculty involved with UNI Opera were all happy to have a performance opportunity before the end of the semester.

“I am extremely excited that UNI Opera is able to offer performances despite the restrictions due to COVID-19,” Gammon said. “The opera program would not have been able to do so without the immense support of the faculty and staff and most importantly the courage and determination of the students.”

The program consisted of 16 arias from contemporary operas performed by graduate and undergraduate students. Each artist was asked to choose a piece from the Gallery of Art and pair it with their aria. UNI Gallery of Art Director Darrell Taylor then led each artist in an interview with the artist so they could explain their pairing.

The program consisted of many beautiful works, but Gammon in particular was looking forward to an aria by composer Jorge Sosa and librettist Cerise Lim Jacobs from an opera that premiered in 2019 entitled, “I am a Dreamer Who No Longer Dreams.”

Although COVID-19 has impacted the opera program, they have adapted and provided unique opportunities for their students.

“COVID-19 has allowed the opera program’s work and training to be intensely centered on the individual,” Gammon said. “Students were offered the opportunity to discover more about themselves and their identity as artists while being immersed in text work and character analysis.”