From the NI archives: A response toward Sept. 11th terrorist attacks

Brooke Bartness, Former Associate News Editor

As the world was stunned, global leaders worked to prevent a possible repeat of the death and destruction that took place at New York’s World Trade Center.

Around the world, countries mobilized soldiers and police to tighten security, specifically at potential terrorist targets.

According to Kyodo news agency, Japan’s Defense Agency Chief Nakatani said, “The challenge is how to protect the nation.”

Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian urged the public to stay calm, saying the island must “stick together when facing a possible change in the international situation.”

Many of the numerous international students at UNI are expressing a genuine concern about the terrorism that happened Tuesday.

Holly Crandall, who works with UNI international students, says she has been very touched by the students’ concerns and responses to the terrorism. Tim O’Connor, assistant vice president of the international program, also expressed that he has been touched by the international students’ reactions and adds that it has been “heartwarming to hear the extraordinarily empathetic condolences” on behalf of the tragic event.

O’Connor hopes Americans will have a renewed understanding for people who live outside the U.S. and have different cultures.

Emiliano Lerda, a UNI international student from Argentia adds, 

“Even though the attacks happened in the U.S., I feel it was an attack on the world.

-Emiliano Lerda

Though the attack was in the U.S., I feel it was an attack on the world. We are all in this together.” There have been

thoughts about how the event that took place in New York and Washington, D.C. will affect that future success of UNI’s international programs. Holly Crandall urges students not to lose interest in studying abroad.

UNI President Robert Koob reassured the safety of our international students on campus, saying, “We’re making certain people don’t act against people different from themselves

.. it is highly inappropriate to consider international students are at risk.”