The roaring 20(21)’s

JETTA COLSCH

Homecoming returns with events starting Sept. 27

Kicking off on Sept. 27, this 2021 UNI homecoming week is going to be roaring fun celebrating like people did 100 years ago. The 1920s was a decade full of letting loose & having fun, & that’s exactly what this coming week will be! After a year dampened by COVID-19, it’s time to become re-immersed in campus life & enjoyment.

“We really want to go all out for this year because homecoming is one of the best parts of college,” says Campus Activities Board (CAB) Director of Operations Helen Beyer. Not only do students have the opportunity to take part in numerous on-campus ventures, they are also encouraged to really show their Panther pride by wearing purple & gold all week.

Homecoming is classically a time for traditions, & this year won’t be any different. Returning events include (but are not limited to) window painting, Panther Pride Cry, the pep rally, Campaniling, the homecoming parade, & of course the football game.

Alongside these returning activities, there are new endeavours to take on this year as well. Students are invited to take a deep dive into this year’s theme by watching The Great Gatsby at Maucker Union, donating at UNI’s blood drive, & trying out your skills at the Dinner Detective Murder Mystery Show. There truly is something for everyone, & all students are encouraged to participate in any & all activities.

“After having a shortened version of homecoming this past spring, it is so amazing to be able to gather again & celebrate all things UNI Panthers,” says Students Organizations Coordinator Connie Hansen. This year will be a huge shift from last year, allowing for further student involvement in the celebrations.

“We have so many reasons to be thankful to be a part of Panther Nation,” says Hansen. “This is the perfect way to meet new friends & make long-lasting memories.”

A complete list of homecoming activities can be found at homecoming.uni.edu, & registration for activities that require it can be found at studentlife.uni.edu.