Vocal performance at GBPAC

Performances+by+the+Mens+Varsity+Glee+Club+and+the+Cecilians+were+held+at+the+GBPAC+on+Tuesday%2C+Oct.+25.+

Performances by the Men’s Varsity Glee Club and the Cecilians were held at the GBPAC on Tuesday, Oct. 25.

LAUREN MCGUILL, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, October 25, the Glee Club and the Cecilians, formerly known as the Women’s Choir, gave two beautiful performances for the first time since March of 2020. The Glee Club were first to perform and were conducted by John Wiles, and Emily Clouser played the piano. The Cecilian’s were conducted by Amy Kotsonis, and Heather Gillis on the piano. Both groups gave the audience a wonderful performance and it was available for those unable to attend on Facebook Live. Both groups looked incredibly happy to be back on stage doing what they love. The Glee Club sang a total of six songs: Jonah’s Song, Oba se Je, Salvation is Created, Nothing Else Matters, Down in the Valley, and finished their performance with their beloved classic, Brothers, Song On!. There was a brief intermission which was followed by the Cecilian’s who performed Spellbound, I See Heaven’s Glories Shine, Nothing Short of Grace, and concluded the performance with Music Down in my Soul. 

Caleb Gehle, a fourth year student here at UNI with a major in History Education and a literacy education minor, has been a part of Glee Club since his start at UNI. Gehle, along with his Glee Club brothers, were ecstatic to get back on stage and perform.

“Freshman year, I scoped things out a bit. I knew I wanted to continue my passion for music, but didn’t want that to be my major. I had stumbled upon the Glee Club and decided to see what’s up. The first thing Dr Wiles asked me was, “What can I do to make this a good experience for you? and I’ve been apart of Glee Club ever since,” said Gehle. 

Gehle continued to talk about how the Glee Club has been an important part of his time at UNI and how he, along with the other members, are incredibly excited for the Glee Club’s Christmas Show. The show was not performed last year due to COVID-19, but will be performed this year. “I can’t wait for our Christmas Show, since we didn’t perform last year, I think this one will be really special.” Gehle said. “People should join the Glee Club if they love music and want to find a great community for that love to flourish in,” he added. 

Overall, both performances gave audiences an incredible show and made them wait in anticipation for what’s to come in the future for both groups.