Botanical Center plant sale geared at students on a budget

Students under any budget will be able to find a unique plant to take home with them at the annual Spring Plant Sale at the University of Northern Iowa Botanical Center on April 26 from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The Botanical Center will be teaming up with the Student Nature Society for a fundraiser that will provide students with cuttings from plants, tropical plants, four different types of basil, herbs and other unusual things not found in the average garden center.

“The plants are small,” said Billie Hemmer, manager of the UNI Botanical Center. “We keep the cost down so students can come in and afford to buy something.”

Hemmer points out that the timing of the event makes it easy for students to pick up a perfect gift for Mother’s Day, or just a plant for the students to grow themselves.

Students are already expressing their excitement about the upcoming plant sale.

“I think it’s a great idea,” said Rebecca Thacker, senior anthropology major. “More students should have plants. They’re such a great stress reliever and are much easier to take care of then a pet. I’m curious to see what cool things they have for sale this year.”

Leah Poe, a UNI elementary education alumna, keeps plants in her new classroom at Lou Henry Elementary School in Waterloo.

“I love having plants in my classroom,” Poe said. “They create a much more welcoming environment. I’m definitely going to get a couple more at the plant sale this year.”

According to Tropical Interiors, plants are not only a way to make a space friendly and inviting, but can have health benefits as well. Plants have been proven to help accelerate the healing process, and reduce headaches, fatigue and stress.

For more information on the plant sale, visit www.uni.edu/biology/botanicalcenter.