Northern Iowa students overwhelmingly from Iowa

Over+the+course+of+UNIs+history+enrollment+has+had+a+roller+coaster+effect.++

NI Archive

Over the course of UNI’s history enrollment has had a roller coaster effect.

NI Archives

Editors Note: This article was originally printed on Nov. 22, 1968. The current UNI enrollment is 9,231 The population of Iowa in 1968 was 2.8 million, today the population is 3.1 million. 

New students at Northern Iowa this fall come overwhelmingly from Iowa, President J.W. Maucker told the State of Board Regents at their meeting in Iowa City last week. 

“Ninety-nine per cent of those coming direct high school were Iowans and 97 per cent of transfer students were from this state,” Dr. Maucker told the board. 

Dr. Maucker said that out-of-state enrollment of new students direct from high school, which averaged only 3.7 percent during the four years prior to the imposition of an out-of-state fee in 1964, has averaged only 1.3 per cent in the four years since 1964. 

“We apparently have, by imposition of the out-of-state fee, increased income 4,600 dollars this fall and in the process kept the incoming student body 99 per cent ‘pure’ Iowan, a poor bargain for the state, I’d say,” he continued. 

Mixed Student Body Desirable 

“We feel it is highly desirable to have at least a modest mix of out-of-state students. It is good for young Iowans to have an opportunity to rub shoulders, socially and intellectually, with students from other states,” he said. 

Dr. Maucker told the Board that enrollment increased somewhat more this fall than was predicted, a total of 837 students or 10.2 percent over last years enrollment of 8,239.

“The estimated enrollment for this fall was 8,900 when we made the 1968-89 budget this spring. Actual enrollment this fall was 9,076,” he said.

He said the increase is made up of a small increase in new students direct from high school, a “miniscule increase” in transfers and a large increase in persistence of former students. 

Total enrollment of women students increased 11 percent; of men, 9 per cent. Enrollment is 54 per cent women and 46 per cent men. 

“Northern Iowa received high school students from 98 counties, transfers from 88 counties, and no county failed to send one or more students,” Dr. Maucker said. 

9,400 Next Fall

He told the Board that Dr. Marshall Beard, registrar, estimates an enrollment of approximately 9,400 students next fall, assuming that Northern Iowa maintains existing admissions standards.

“This would be an increase of 3.5 per cent over this fall, and it would anticipate an increase in students direct from high school of less than 50,” he said. 

Dr. Maucker said that both graduate and undergraduate enrollment is 2.5 times what it was in 1960. He said it has gone up 41 per cent in the last three years and 64 per cent in the last four years.