TAPP gives a fashionably good time

UNI students strutted their stuff Saturday night as the textiles and apparel program at UNI presented their spring fashion show, Stripped Catwalk 22.

Over 80 female models took to the runway wearing designs created by students. The designs varied from original print design, vintage remake and designs made from nontraditional materials. Each model captured the essence of the outfit they wore by carrying a certain persona on the runway appropriate to the personality of the design.

Of the nearly 80 designs featured in the show, 19 were created by Austin Burke, who was one of the standout designers from the show.

“The bottom half of this dress is made from gold rose petals,” Burke said about his gold and white patterned gown that was featured as the finale in the show. “I sewed each rose petal individually so it was a lot of work, but it turned out great.”

The show was split into three sections: Undefined Beauty, Ubiquitous Beauty and Unattainable Beauty. Each section was set up like a story and was told by music and video projections in the background. The designs in the show included a variety of dresses, skirts and business casual outfits.

An after-party was held in Lang Hall where audience members could view the creations up close and meet the student designer behind each piece.

“The skirt is wool, as well as the jacket,” said Sarah Ormsby about one of her pieces. “It is two pieces combined. One is detailed by the jacket and the other is detailed by the crop top, but both pieces include the skirt.”

Model Katie Evans depicted these two pieces by modeling both the jacket and the top during the show. At the end of the runway, Evans removed the jacket, exposing the rest of the outfit and using it as an accidental accessory that brought the outfit to life.

The fashion show is a helpful tool for students in UNI’s textiles and apparel program. The students are able to feature these pieces in portfolios and other projects, which can help them when applying for internships and future jobs. Students in the program have secured internships at iconic fashion powerhouses such as Oscar de la Renta, Kate Spade and Vera Wang.

These fashion show pieces involved a lot of detail, and the students who showcased their talents did a fantastic job.