A different Atmosphere

For the past 17 years, the underground rap scene has been dominated and controlled by the hip-hop collective, Atmosphere. The group, consisting of rapper Slug and producer Ant, have reached their success through rigorous touring and albums that all listeners can immediately sink their teeth into. 

“Southsiders,” the group’s eighth studio album, moves away from the live instrumentation that was heard in the preceeding album, “The Family Sign,” and focuses more on Ant’s beats and Slug’s introspective lyricism. 

As the group gets older and more mature, so does their music. In the group’s earlier albums, women, alcohol and sex were prominent themes, which many gravitated towards. 

Now it’s a little bit different for the 42-year old rapper from Minneapolis. Married and a father of two, Slug’s rhymes have changed significantly, leading to mixed reviews with old fans. 

“I highly doubt that y’all think about sex/ Nearly as often as I think about death,” Slug confesses in the track “Fortunate.”

In “My Lady Got Two Men,” Slug finally gets an understanding of women and his place with his wife. 

“My lady got two lovers/ One for the funk and the other for the comfort/ I’m trying to understand/ But I gotta figure out that I’m both of them.” 

A few songs, however, lack in powerful lyricism such as “We Ain’t Gonna Die Today” and “Star Shaped Heart” but are easily revived thanks to Ant’s flawless production on the album.     “Kanye West” is a great, up-beat track that is a must-see performed live as is “January On Lake Street.” 

Slug also pays proper respect to his late friend, Michael “Eyedea” Larsen, who passed away in 2010 in the song “Flicker.” 

The album is a fine listen all the way through. Slug isn’t a rapper to stand on ceremony. As he changes through life, so does his music. 

“Southsiders” is a look into where the group is now in their life. Ant’s production gives it a feel of old school Atmosphere while Slug’s maturing rhymes are something few fans can’t connect to, however, Slug is still candid and honest as ever which will always drive the group’s success.