Connecting at Sidecar Coffee

The name of the game is Connect Four and Sidecar Coffee kicked off their four-week tournament of the game on Saturday night. The round-robin tournament had each match play the best of three games. 

Six sets of Connect Four were set up for players so they could easily keep the games moving. 

Daniel Vorwerk, senior public relations major, said, “[The Connect Four tournament] sounded like a fun way to spend my Saturday night.” 

Last year, Sidecar had hosted the tournament in the fall. Owner of Sidecar, Andy Fuchtman said the tournament was the first thing they hosted after they opened the shop.

“That’s why we’re doing it, because we had a lot of fun with it,” Fuchtman said.

Vorwerk, who had participated in last year’s event and returned because of the fun he had, said, “I’m feeling confident in my abilities. I’ve been practicing at home.”

Fuchtman said Connect Four was decided since it’s a quick, fun game that can be made into a tournament to allow for competition. 

“It seemed like it really hit the sweet spot for what we were looking for,” Fuchtman said.

With the inclusiveness of the game and ability for players to have a break between matches, Connect Four fit Fuchtman’s stipulations. Fuchtman is also looking into different game nights and events.

Palmer Scott, second year special education grad student thought the idea would be interesting. 

“If they did different games it’d be fun. If they did maybe Chutes and Ladders, anything,” Scott said.

Vorwerk brought up the point of the speed of the game. 

“It depends on the speed of the game. It’s a game that’s easy for anybody to play even if you’ve never played it before and games can go pretty quickly,” Vorwerk said. 

What surprised Fuchtman the most about the tournament was the level of gameplay each contender would bring to the table. 

“I was really surprised at the levels of Connect Four because there’s people that are on a whole different point. I was really amazed. We did eight weeks last time, each one each week, one person won and that person always just wiped the floor with everybody else,” Fuctman said, referring to last year’s tournament.

The two contenders that moved on to the final round and received a $25 gift card were Vorwerk and Beth Keesy, junior social work major. There will be three more rounds on Jan. 24, Jan. 31 and Feb. 7, with the championship round on Feb. 21.