Food fest offers more than a snack

Here’s your chance to enjoy international food before you take the week-long vacation of Spring Break.

The International Club of Business, also known as Global Associates, will host an International Food Fest Thursday. This event will be held at the Curris Business Building, Rooms 1 and 3 starting at 5 p.m.  

The goal of the club is to bridge the gap that separates the UNI student body from the large and expanding international world, said Breena Bakey, vice president of Global Associates.

The International Food Festival will have foods representing several countries, as well as entertainment, salsa lessons and a chance to win some prizes. Also, students will have a chance to learn how to write their name in various other languages, like Arabic. 

International students at UNI can enjoy the event to connect other students to international ones. Sasha Mahara, freshman family services major, is from Nepal and said she loves seeing how Global Associates and UNI bring international events to campus.

“I always try to attend. I love trying the new food and getting new experiences,” Mahara said. “Being an international student can be hard, but when I go to these events I meet other international students and just regular students. I always have a great time sharing my experiences and hearing others.”

Bakey said that in past semesters, Global Associates have solely focused on a singular country, but this semester they wanted to go all out and focus on multiple countries. This will be specifically Asia, Middle East, Europe and Central and South America.

There will be food representing each country and people there to talk about each one so attendees can broaden their knowledge. 

“Coming to the International Food Festival is a great way to [learn] more about other countries, because some of our members are either from a particular country or have traveled to another country,” Bakey said.

This event can also open the door to making a decision about which country to visit for a study abroad, like for TJ Nissen, freshman graphic technologies major.

“. . . I figured it would be the opportune moment to get to see all my options all at once and be able to make an informed decision,” Nissen said.