Miss Iowa speaks on diversity

Alyson Lou Olson, Miss Iowa 2014, came to University of Northern Iowa Monday night to speak about her chosen platform of diversity. Phi Sigma Pi Honors Fraternity sponsored her appearance for UNI Honors Week.

Olson talked about diversity and how people can think about different people in a positive way.

Olson said that being Miss Iowa is helping her make a difference in others’ lives. She said that it is difficult talking about diversity.

“As you see, I am a tall white girl from Iowa and I am not sure if people would like to listen to me when I am talking about diversity, and I did not choose to talk about this,” Olson said. “But on the other hand, the reaction of people who have listened to me before was amazing and unexpected. I am continuing to learn from others more cultural differences and diversity as I am going to over 30 schools across the state.”

Olson said the best way to understand diversity is through knowing one’s self first. 

She added that knowing others and accepting them is very important as it helps strengthen the community. Curiosity is an important thing to consider and that means people should keep trying to understand cultural groups, styles, genders, values and religions.

“Stereotypes are everywhere, I faced many weird people asking me weird questions such as, ‘Are you hungry?’ Are you very rich?’ And personally I don’t blame them because this is the image that they see about Miss Iowa,” said Olson. “At this point, you should shape yourself, be patient with other people and bring a good image to them by what is your identity and what you believe in.” 

Mitchel Dierickx, junior elementary education major, helped with the event.

“Having Alyson Olson as Miss Iowa here at UNI is important because she is talking about diversity and other topics that she has stood for during her time as Miss Iowa,” Dierickx said. “UNI has many multicultural students and I think she can help merge the gap between ethnic students and regular students.”