Horror film follows cult classics

“Friday the 13th,” “Cabin in the Woods,” “Evil Dead” and “Texas Chainsaw Massacre” are among the dead meat teenager flicks that have become cult classics. “It Follows” injects into that same vein and draws out a nightmarish horror film that could stand tall back in the day of these low budget pulse pounders.

It stars Maika Monroe as Jay Height, a girl being stalked by a curse-like entity that follows its victim until it catches and kills them. The curse is passed on by having sex with another person, explains Hugh (Jake Weary) after having a very intimate date with Jay. If she were to die, the entity would pursue its previous target once more.  

From the beginning of the movie, there is an unsettling vibe that never goes away. The main reason for this is not only the entity showing up in the background when you least expect it, but also the old school horror film techniques that keep up the chills, even when the entity isn’t on screen. The synth heavy score is consistently creepy and gives an otherworldly feel to the atmosphere. Also, the movie is shot in the abandoned neighborhoods of Detroit, which creates even more of a lonely, dream-like atmosphere. It then turns into an inescapable nightmare when the entity appears.

Another aspect that punctuated the dream-like timelessness is that it didn’t seem to match up with a timeline. The movie spanned time with a mix of modern, 70s and 80s scenery. The setting, clothing, cars and décor of houses were key details of the movie, which was an intriguing sight for the eyes. None of the styles clashed with each other. It all oddly melded together.

However, “It Follows” is not without its imperfections. While Maika’s performance as Jay is wonderful, the rest of the characters are flat and cease to grow. Some of the workings of the entity are a little confusing and never explained.

Overall, it does what a good horror movie is supposed to do. Rather than just containing gore and jump scares, the presentation of the monster in the movie is smart and suspenseful. With the creepy soundtrack and timeless atmosphere, “It Follows” is a well-made movie in general. With more ups than downs, it’s certainly worth a watch. After all, who goes to a horror movie for character development anyway?