Students spark concerns about CP parking

The+struggle+to+find+a+parking+spot+has+sparked+conversations+of+outrage+on+campus.+

MALLORY SCHMITZ

The struggle to find a parking spot has sparked conversations of outrage on campus.

AUBREY SCHAFBUCH, Staff Writer

The word on campus is that CP parking is a mess. In between construction and “Service Vehicle Only” signs lay one of the most talked about topics: why is it so hard to find parking this semester? 

The CP lots near the Quads and Panther Village seem to be uncommonly full at all hours, and packed to the brim during the evening. In a conversation with Madison Langford, a junior elementary education major, she highlights the main concerns about this semester’s accommodations and explains the situation that brought her to being vocal about it.

“I do not appreciate the several times I’ve not been able to find a CP spot in the Quads/PV area and have to park in the C lot. While it hasn’t happened enough to where I feel shorted money, it is significantly cheaper than the parking pass that I paid for. It’s happened when even getting back from the grocery store where I’ve had to park in C.” She explains she isn’t the only one who has been having difficulties–in fact, every time she has run into this issue, several other cars have been circling the lots behind her, unable to find a spot.

Students say the problem is deeper than inconvenience; it’s also unfair. When agreeing to pay $105 for CP parking, they expect a guaranteed spot adjacent to their dormitory or apartment. When considering students that work off campus and return at late hours, it only adds to the dilemma.

Unfortunately, talking to the University Parking Division doesn’t clear up many concerns. There is no formal way to place complaints nor do they give out an email or phone number to get in contact with higher ups. When the office is asked about the cause of inundated parking, it’s attributed to those who may park in CP lots without the proper pass–something that does not fully make sense or explain the root of the issue. Overall, students feel like they cannot win. Langford says, “I haven’t been able to find someone to talk to about parking concerns; it is always brushed off. Their answers wouldn’t be a problem normally, but when the same thing is happening to so many people, it becomes a real issue.” 

Langford holds the same belief that the majority of others hold–CP passes may have been oversold. She explains that over the course of three years, she has never had this much trouble finding a spot and that she never had to park in front of a different building or in a C or R lot. “I think there are so many more people that live in the Quads/PV area of campus and not enough CP parking spots compared to the Towers’ side.”

In order to combat this issue of an overflowing south side of campus, she brings up the thought that it might be productive for the University to have a set amount of CP parking passes designated for people that live in specific buildings. As for now, the best option students have is to follow these tips for a better parking experience. 

Get back on campus early; after 8 p.m. is the most difficult time to find spaces. Drive through lots you don’t usually park in, and when you have to park in a C or R lot, don’t hesitate to call campus police to escort you home if you feel unsafe, especially when walking alone at night.