Walk to “shed light”

On Sunday, students and families participated in the Out of the Darkness Walk to help shed light on suicide prevention. 

The event was hosted by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and put together by the UNI Chi Sigma Iota chapter, an honor society for those going into  professional counseling. 

“Many are unaware that suicide has become a national health problem, being the second leading cause of death among college students,” said Cindy Enyart, graduate clinical mental health counseling major and Chi Sigma Iota member.  

According to Enyart, the event took place to support friends and families of those who have committed suicide or suffer from depression.

The Out of the Darkness Walk raises funds for educational programs and suicide prevention. This year, the UNI campus walk exceeded their goal of $5,000.  They raised a total of $5,506.73, according to the AFSP donation webpage. 

The event served other purposes as well.

“One of the reasons we’re doing this is to, like, show people that there are people who care, people who aren’t going to judge you,” Enyart said. “There’s a community of support for them, and also to just encourage people to reach out and get services if they need them or not to be afraid to talk to people.”  

Taylor Ash, graduate social work major, and Christy Kessens, instructor of continuing education and special programs, spoke before the event about their own experiences in relation to depression and suicide and encouraged others to do the same. 

Those in attendance met in the Maucker Ballroom, and then followed a three-mile route around campus.

Kayse Jenkins, junior English major, participated to support her roommate who was a staff member for the event. 

“And I’ve seen how it [suicide and depression] affects the family and people around them, and it’s heartbreaking to see,” Jenkins said. “So, it’s definitely something we need to talk about and be aware of.”

Sunday was the second year the walk has taken place at UNI. Chi Sigma Iota hopes to continue this tradition. They encourage students and community members to continue to donate and take part in the walk. Enyart said donations will be accepted until June 30 and can be submitted through the AFSP donation webpage.