Recognizing student employees

National Student Employment week has arrived at UNI. There will be many events this week to recognize all student employees and to thank them, with different departments holding events across campus. 

A few employers have nominated their employees to be Student Employee of the Year. A luncheon will be held for all the nominated student employees and those who nominated them. During the luncheon, the ceremony will be held and the winners announced. 

There is a committee consisting of four staff members and one student that will decide who receives the awards. The committee reads the submitted nominations forms from supervisors of different departments all over UNI for Student Employee of the Year. From there, they select four finalists and choose the winner of the award. 

Sarah Goblirsch, assistant director of employer relations for Career Services, said that more than forty students have been nominated for the award.

“This week is so important to recognize all the great work students do on-campus every day. We have almost 4,000 students who work on-campus, so they play a vital role in making the university run. We want to make sure they feel valued and realize the impact they make on their departments and the university,” Goblirsch said.

Many departments on campus that employ students are doing things separately for their students as well. For instance, Rialto Dining Center is having a small celebration for all employees on today.

“We want to show gratitude for all the hard work students do. This Thursday, for example, we are having an open house where we honor the graduating seniors that work at Rialto. All the student employees are allowed to come, but we want to specifically thank and recognize the seniors,”  said Brian Corwin, food service supervisor at Rialto dining center.

Elizabeth Macauley, sophomore psychology major, is an employee at the Rialto Dining Center. 

“I think it’s great that they’re taking the time to recognize student workers. We do a lot, and I think a lot of people make stereotypes about college kids, one of them being we’re lazy and don’t want to work,” said Macauley. “We get a job and we show up, because we know it’s our responsibility, and add school to that. So, I think it’s great that we’re actually being recognized for it.”