Celebration of Saudi culture

Last Sunday, UNI’s Saudi Students Club hosted a cultural celebration in the Maucker Union Ballroom. Many Saudi, American and international students came to the Saudi Cultural Celebration, as well as many UNI professors and the president of UNI, Dr. Bill Ruud. 

About 240 people attended the celebration event and was considered one of the most successful international events at UNI. 

“The Saudi National Day event has occurred for several years, but this is the largest one and most successful one that I have attended,” said Sally Roos, student service coordinator for the Culture and Intensive English Program.

Ayidh Alotaibi, senior criminology major and president of UNI Saudi Students Club talked about the goals of the event. 

“The main purpose of creating this event is to show and share Saudi culture with the American society as well as other international communities,” Alotaibi said.  

Different activities and opportunities were held at the celebration such as a photo booth, eating traditional foods like al kabsa), watching traditional dances and getting henna tattoos. There were also brochures available about Saudi culture. 

Kenneth Atkinson, professor of history, attended the event for the first time. 

“It was especially interesting to see the geographical diversity in Saudi Arabia and learn more about where some of our students are from in the country … The great variety of dates in the country was quite a surprise. This and the dancing were perhaps the most interesting parts of the evening. The food at the event was fantastic. If only we could have Saudi food in the Union”  Atkinson said.

Atkinson believes cultural diversity helps students gain a respect for international culture.

“I know that many of my Iowa students have benefited greatly from their association with Saudi students. They now have a much greater respect for Saudi culture and Islam,” Atkinson said.