A “gleeful” holiday season

• To see performance schedules, roster and more information about the Varsity Glee Club, visit their website unigleeclub.com.

• UNI’s Varsity Glee Club will be performing their annual Christmas Variety Show on Dec. 2 and Dec. 3. To see performance times and ticket purchases, visit UNItix.com.

GRANT PEDERSEN, Staff Writer

The University of Northern Iowa’s Varsity Glee Club is back for another festive season of performances. The Varsity Glee Club came back to performing after a two-year hiatus this last December 2021 and this will be their second Christmas Variety show post-quarantine. This event is one of the University’s most anticipated performances as it provides a fun and exciting atmosphere for all to enjoy. 

The variety show is being held on multiple dates: 7:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2022 and 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on the following day Dec. 3, 2022. The Glee Club commented, “Get your tickets fast, as these are sell-out features!” You can get tickets now through UNItix.com or through the Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center.

While the actual performance program is still a secret to the campus community there is much to be excited for. Chairman of the Glee Leadership Council, senior Brady Van Waardhuizen states, “What people should expect from our show this year is everything you wouldn’t normally expect out of a normal choir concert. Everyone is in for a show full of music, excitement, and ridiculousness at the same time.” In past years performances have included comical productions of “Squid Games: The Return of Tiger King” and “A Marshmallow World.” Creativity is not lost with this campus organization, so I’m expecting this year should be no different!

The Glee Club was founded in 1888 and it is one of the oldest active student organizations. Van Waardhuizen states regarding the function of the Varsity Glee Club, “The Glee Club is a non-auditioned Tenor bass vocal ensemble and one of the most popular students lead organizations here on campus. There are guys who come from all different types of majors and musical experience and the mass majority of our group this year are non-music majors.” Many of UNI’s musical organizations are restricted by-audition, so this club being open to anyone who has a love for music is a great experience and community for all involved. 

Freshman member Lance Riecks states, “I’ve always kept music as a big part of my life, especially singing. I knew for a fact that I was going to college and that I would want to be part of some choir. The Glee Club was a perfect fit. All the guys are awesome and friendly.” Freshman member Riecks also states regarding what he is looking forward to the concert as, “Definitely the audience. Seeing all the people in the seats gets me hyped up. Gives me a good feeling to see my singing, something that I hold close to me.”

The pandemic hurt all of us in some ways, but it drastically hurt the arts in more ways than one. Member Brady Van Waardhuizen said that reforming the club was hard after shutting down to weather the pandemic. 

“While it was hard to come back fully into the scene of dining side by side with each other again, we kept our motto for the club throughout that time of adversity and hardship and together with little steps at a time we were able to make some of the best performances out of what we were given at the time and we have now been able to showcase something that truly showcases our hard work and dedication and shows that we are still here to make a difference for not just the campus community but the state community as well.”

Presently, the University of Northern Iowa, people around the world, businesses, and organizations are trying to bounce back to the world’s old “normal.” The Glee Club has pushed forward as well trying to be creative in order to find their new rhythm and flow.

The Northern Iowan and I wish the Varsity Glee the best of luck in their Christmas Varity Show, and any other future performances as well. Supporting campus organizations and their endeavors are important to continue the overall good health of a University community, so come on out and cheer on the Glee Club when we all return from Fall Break! Concert dates reiterated are Dec. 2, 2022 at 7:30 PM and Dec. 3, 2022 at 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. All shows will be held at the Gallagher-Bluedorn Preforming Arts Center’s Great Hall on the UNI campus.