Art of Mindfulness

MEG GROVE, Staff Writer

Between juggling a new schedule, workload and catching up with friends, the first few weeks of a semester can be tough for many students. The WRC is hosting a mindfulness training to help students manage these stressors. 

The Art of Mindfulness Training will be held on Jan. 30 in room 154 of the WRC. During the training students will learn what mindfulness is, the benefits of mindfulness, and how to apply it to your own life. 

During the training, participants will take part in multiple mindfulness activities. “That really helps solidify what mindfulness can look like,” said Riley Rodemaker, Graduate Assistant in Suicide Prevention.  Participants will also learn how to incorporate mindfulness into their life and the barriers they may face after the training. Supplemental information and articles are given at the end of the training so people can continue to build on what they’ve learned.

“This can be something done in your everyday life that doesn’t have to be some big, expensive thing,” said Rodemaker. “It’s really just about learning to shift your perspective on the things that you’re already doing.”

Mindfulness is about being aware of your thoughts and feelings in the present moment and being non judgemental towards these emotions. “Once you become aware of them, you can acknowledge them and allow yourself to redirect to something that would be more beneficial,” said Rodemaker. “Just sort of accepting your current experience in that present moment.”

While techniques such as meditation and yoga are very popular, not everyone has the time to set aside to practice them. Mindfulness can be practiced and used throughout daily life. “Mindfulness can be a lot of different things, in fact you can do just about anything mindfully,” said Rodemaker. 

“When we think about how society is, especially here in the United States, we’re always on the go,” said Rodemaker. “We’re always thinking about productivity and the next thing we have to do.” Mindfulness can help you slow down and take the time to be in the present moment.

Incorporating mindfulness into your daily life has many benefits. A study published in The Cureus Journal of Medical Science proved that college students that practiced mindfulness had reduced anxiety and depression symptoms. Along with this, students also displayed healthier habits to improve their general well-being.  

The Art of Mindfulness Training will be offered multiple times throughout the semester. There are both in person and virtual options so make sure to check out what works best for you!