Panthers split pair at home

The Panthers split a pair of home games this weekend as they defeated Grand View in overtime on Friday 2-1 before falling to South Dakota 2-0.

UNI fired off nine shots in the first half against Grand View, but the game entered the break tied 0-0. Less than a minute into the second half, UNI keeper Whitney Blunt found herself on an island against Grand View’s Nicole Pirie. Pirie scored the unassisted goal as the Vikings took a 1-0 lead.

A downfield kick from Blunt found Brady Clark for the game-tying goal with just over 16 minutes remaining. The goal marked Clark’s second of the season.

The Panthers took 11 corner kicks in the contest before converting on one early in overtime to give them a 2-1 win. Maggie Riley took the corner and Katie Witt found it off the bounce and put it into the back of the net.

UNI looked to continue their solid play against South Dakota on Sunday, but the Panthers could not find the back of the net as they had just three of their shots find the target.

South Dakota’s first goal came 30 minutes in as Colleen Reeves found the back of the net on a counter pass from Shannon Keller. Taylor Nivala scored the final goal of the match on a breakaway at the 72:48 mark.

UNI’s final game during the three-game home stretch will take place on Friday at 6 p.m. as they take on South Dakota State in Waterloo.