UNI places 9th at MVC Championships

The UNI women’s golf team placed ninth at the MVC Championships in Waterloo, Ill. earlier this week.

BEN LAHART, Sports Writer

The UNI women closed out the golf season at the Missouri Valley Championships early this week at Anbriar Golf Club in Waterloo, Ill. Freshman Victoria Hualde led the way for the Panthers throughout the championships as she finished in a tie for 12th place overall.

UNI started off hot in the first round. Hualde led the team with a score of 77 (+5) tied for second place. Two other Panthers sat in the top 15 after one round. Anna Jensen with a score of 79 (+7) tied for ninth while Anna Nacos sat tied at 15th with a score of 80 (+8).

Lily Bredemeier finished the first round tied at 33rd with an 84 (+12) while McKenna Mallow rounded out the Panthers with a score of 87 (+15) in 45th place. As a team UNI sat in second place with a total score of 320 (+32) only trailing Missouri State.

The Panthers were not able to hold their spot on day two of competition as the team’s scores took a slight decline. Hualde once again paced UNI’s scoring with 80 (+8) dropping her into a tie for seventh place. Jensen shot an 83 (+11) while Nacos shot an 84 (+12) sitting at 23rd and 27th, respectively. 

To finish up the Panthers round, Bredemeier shot an 86 (+14) in the second round and sat at a tie for 41st. Mallow was the lone Panther to improve on the second day with a score of 85 (+13) and finished the second round tied for 48th place. UNI dropped down to seventh place in the team standings with a total score of 652 (+76) entering the final round of competition.

Hualde and Bredemeier tied for the lead in the third round for the Panthers both shooting an 80 (+8). Nacos and Mallow both managed an 82 (+10) in the final round while Jensen shot an 83 (+11). 

In the individual standings, Hualde finished in a tie for 12th place with a total of 237 (+21), followed by Jensen tied at 30th with 245 (+29). Nacos came in third for the Panthers with a total of 246 (+30), tied for 35th overall.

With a score of 250 (+34), Bredemeier finished tied for 40th. Mallow finished up the competition for UNI with a 254 (+38) tying her for 46th place. The individual title was split three ways between Evansville’s Kate Petrova, Murray State’s Payton Carver and Drake’s Kristen Giles, all shooting a 231 (+15).

UNI finished ninth overall for the second year in a row with a total team score of 967 (+112). Missouri State took the team title with a total score of 943 (+88) followed by Evansville with a score of 952 (+97).

The Panthers will look to build off of this season as they return all but one golfer and all five golfers from the MVC Championships next year. UNI’s golf season will pick up again next September with high hopes for success.