UNI defeats USD to continue winning streak

COURTESY/UNI ATHLETICS
The Panthers are in the middle of one of their best starts in years.

The UNI women’s soccer team defeated the South Dakota Coyotes 3-1 on Thursday, Sept. 7. This marked UNI’s third straight win and sixth overall. UNI is now 6-0-1 with only a tie and no losses. This marks the longest unbeaten streak in UNI program history and the best start to a season.

UNI came into the match 5-0-1. South Dakota came into the game 2-1-3, having won or tied five straight games. South Dakota took the first lead just over six minutes into the game with a goal by Ashby Johnston at the 6:12 mark. UNI would bounce back with a goal by Olivia Knoepfle about ten minutes later off an assist by Maddie Eastus. With the game tied 1-1, the weather would interfere, as the game experienced a lightning delay that lasted around 45 minutes. Once the game was resumed, neither team was able to score again for the rest of the half. The game entered halftime still tied 1-1.

Nearly ten minutes into the half, the Panthers took their first lead of the game with a goal from Ashley Harrington at the 54:21 mark. This gave UNI a 2-1 lead. Less than six minutes later, at the 60:02 mark, Macy Smith scored off an assist by Harrington to increase the lead to two for the Panthers. Caitlin Richards held strong for UNI in the net, allowing no more goals, allowing UNI to finish with a 3-1 win.

UNI had 17 shots compared to the Coyotes’ 13, including 13 shots on goal to South Dakota’s five. UNI got seven corner shot opportunities compared to one for the Coyotes. South Dakota’s goalie Caroline Lewis had ten saves, but gave up three goals. Richards had four saves and gave up only one goal. Lauren Heinsch led UNI in shots on goal, with four. Eastus was credited with two assists to lead the Panthers. Harrington also had an assist along with her goal to set the record for most career assists at UNI, with 13, as well as most games with an assist with 12.