UNI continues sweep streak

The Panther volleyball team started conference play off strong with a win against a gritty Bradley team. The Panthers started out the first set strong with Layanna Green, Emily Holterhaus, and Olivia Tjernagel setting the pace for the panthers and putting them up 6 points half way through the set. Bradley answered back with a 4-0 run to tie the game up at 19-19. The Braves would force their way to a lead of 23-22, and the fun wouldn’t stop there. The set would continue on until the panthers won 32-30, thanks to 21 kills from the panther team. 

The Panthers kept that momentum heading into the second set, jumping out to a 5-0 lead. They were able to keep it going throughout the set because of nine attack errors by Bradley and 3 service errors. But Bradley did not give up easily, they pushed their way back and started chipping at the panther lead, cutting it to just two on a late run of 5-0. The Panthers would finish the set strong, despite the late push from the Braves, because of two errors and a kill by Holterhaus, giving them the set 25-21.

The Braves started out the set strong, but the Panthers would make their way back with a strong service game. The Panthers trailed most of the third set, but would make their way back and tie the game up at 13-13. UNI found their groove as the set went on scoring four of their last seven points off of kills, finishing the set with 15 and taking the 3rd set 25-20 and sweeping the Bradley Braves. 

Senior Emily Holterhaus would finish the set with a match high 15 kills, followed along with 2 aces and 3 blocks. Junior Olivia Tjernagel would finish the match with 9 kills and 5 blocks. Junior Kira Fallert had 7 kills and 2 locks in the set, and Redshirt Sophomore Layanna Green also added 7 kills and 1 block. The Panthers aim to keep this momentum going as they continue the start of their conference play.