Golf competes at Zach Johnson Invitational

COURTESY/UNI ATHLETICS
The Panther golf team, pictured above. UNI placed 10th overall in the Zach Johnson Invitational.

In a packed 13 team field at the Zach Johnson Invitational last Tuesday at Glen Oaks Country Club in West Des Moines, the Panthers took tenth place overall. 

Redshirt senior Griffin Parker led the Panthers in the tournament shooting 69 (-2), 71 (E) and 79 (+8) during the couple days of the tournament that put him in a tie for 26th place. Senior Jack Moody shot a 221 (+8) overall over the course of three rounds, shooting a 72 (+1), 70 (-1) and 79 (+8) to put him at a tie for 31st. 

Junior J.D. Pollard showed out in the final round of play carding a whopping seven birdies in a row on the front nine for a score of 68 (-3), carding a 222 (+9) on the tournament and putting him in a tie for 33rd. Junior Brandon McCarty competed as an individual and tied for 35th place after having a solid run in the tournament shooting 74 (+3), 73 (+2) and 76 (+5), which totalled a 223 (+10). 

Junior Connor Van Weelden tied for 57th with scores of 77 (+6), 75 (+4) and 77 (+5) for a 299 and (+16) overall. Freshman Tanner Dinnebier carded a 238 (+25) for a 71st finish in just his second collegiate outing. 

With three tournaments left in the season, the Panthers aim to progress and excel as the rest of the season continues, despite a tough finish in the tournament and a tough start to the season. 

The Panthers return back to action with two back-to-back tournaments this week, starting with the Big O Classic at the Indian Creek Golf Course in Elkhorn, Nebraska, hosted by Omaha on Monday and Tuesday. After that, they will then compete in a dual meet with Drake on Wednesday at the Des Moines Golf and Country Club.