Panthers split regular season home finale

The University of Northern Iowa volleyball team rounded out their regular season home schedule over the weekend with a 3-1 win over Indiana State and a 1-3 loss to Missouri Valley Conference leader Illinois State.

The Panthers jumped out to an early lead on Friday against the Sycamores, finding themselves up 10-4. The Sycamores fought back and cut the UNI lead to one before the Panthers rattled off four straight points to take control of the set down the stretch, 25-20.

It was much of the same in the second and most dominate set of the night for UNI. Five different Panthers recorded a kill in the early moments of the set, taking a 9-1 lead. UNI was dominant the rest of the set, picking up a 25-12 win.

Indiana State bounded back in the third set, scoring seven of nine points in a short stretch to give them a 20-17 lead. UNI fired back with a run of their own, but it was too little too late as the Sycamores extended the match with a 27-25 win.

The Panthers returned to their dominant ways in the fourth set, extending their lead little by little the entire set as they took it 25-17. 

On Saturday, UNI faced off against an Illinois State who has not lost a MVC game this season. The Redbirds would keep the undefeated in-conference record perfect as they held UNI to a .13 attacking percentage in the win.

Down 2-0 in the match and 11-10 in the third set, UNI fought back with seven straight points to take a 17-11 lead. The Panthers held on in a back-and-forth affair for the remainder of the set, taking a 25-19 win before dropping the set and match with a 25-16 loss in the fourth set.

UNI will round out MVC regular season play on the road against Bradley and Loyola over the weekend before beginning MVC Tournament play on Thursday, Nov. 27 in Cedar Falls.