Five Panthers crowned at Central Missouri Open

The University of Northern Iowa wrestlers opened up their first meet of the season with a sweeping victory. Taking on 19 teams in their first open at the University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg, MO, UNI placed first overall and led in both pins and individual match wins. 

UNI placed 16 wrestlers in the top six places of the 10 weight classes. With five Panthers finishing first, six in third, one in fourth, four in fifth, and two in sixth place victories, the UNI wrestlers kicked off their season with a more than substantial start.

Sophomore Dylan Peters flew through his bracket in the 125-pound weight class, scoring 21.50 points overall. Peters won his final match with a 4-2 decision against the University of Missouri’s Barlow Mcghee. 

Another first place win came from Levi Wolfensperger, wrestling in the 133-pound weight class. Wolfensperger took down Zach Synon from the University of Missouri with a 5-1 decision. 

Coming out on top in the 174-pound weight class as well, Curt Maas defeated his final opponent Smith-Bergsrund with a score of 7-3. 

Jared Bartel took first place in the 197-pound weight class, earning four wins in the open.

Finishing out the night with another first place victory, Cody Caldwell won by decision over John McArdle, from Lindenwood University, with a final match score of 8-3. 

The University of Northern Iowa will compete against Indiana Tech and Purdue Sunday, Nov. 23 in West Lafayette, Ind.