UNI wins two over break

UNI had their hands full over this past Thanksgiving break; taking on both Indiana Tech and Purdue on Sunday, Nov. 23, and hosting Iowa Central at home in the West Gym on Saturday, Nov. 29. 

Starting off the meet in West Lafayette, IN. The Panthers fought hard and shut out Indiana Tech with an overall score of 44-0. UNI came up short against Purdue later that day, with a 22-15 loss. This loss ended their 14 dual win streak, which made UNI’s dual score 1-1 for the season. 

Dylan Peters, Cooper Moore, Curt Maas and Blaize Cabell all won their matches in the 125, 165, 174 and 285 weight classes respectively. 

Peters won both of his matches by falls, beating Indiana Tech in 2:08 and Purdue in 1:08.

In the 197 weight class, Jared Bartel lost in tiebreaker against Purdue’s Braden Atwood by a 4-1 decision.

This last weekend, UNI sought to redeem themselves from their recent loss, and defeated Iowa Central 38-6 in the West Gym. The Panthers won eight of the ten individual weight divisions, four of them by fall.

Peters beat his opponent, Alex Delacruz, in a fall after only 29 seconds, making him undefeated 3-0 in duals and 7-0 overall for the season. 

In the 133 pound weight class, Leighton Gaul won by fall against Tyler Miller in only 1:43.

Freshman Jake Hodges took the third win by fall against Clay Walker in 2:50. 

The fourth fall for UNI came from Moore. Wrestling from the 165 weight class, Moore defeated Ty McLeod in 1:24, making him undefeated in duals with 3-0 and 8-1 overall for the season.

Their success over Iowa Central makes their season dual score 2-1.

Looking forward, the Panthers will compete in Las Vegas, NV, at the Cliff Keen Invite on the weekend of Dec. 5.