ICBS makes their mark

The International Club of Business Students, pictured at a Business Visit Day Oct. 6.

With the goal of cultivating educational and cultural experiences for all, the recently established International Club of Business Students (ICBS) is looking forward to expanding its reach on UNI’s campus and beyond. 

ICBS president, Dinithi Ferdinando, is an international student from Sri Lanka. Ferdinando hopes this new organization will allow both international and domestic students to connect and learn from each other.

“ICBS serves as an excellent platform for international students with a keen interest in international business,” Ferdinando said. “It provides an opportunity for them to connect with U.S. business students, enabling discussions and the sharing of ideas and experiences related to international business. One of the standout features of this club is that students have the chance to participate in global competitions.”

Co-Vice President Jade Durfey, a domestic student,  reflects Ferdinando’s vision saying, “It’s a really good way to get a unique perspective from all different types of people within the campus and to be able to network and get a more worldly perspective, no matter where you’re from as well as just to be able to communicate effectively across all different types of people.”

ICBS is a combination of two former clubs, the Global Trades Club led by Professor Christine Schrage and the International Students in Business group led by Professor Shahina Amin. ICBS made its debut as a new organization on Oct. 6 during a Business Visit Day. 

Co-Vice President Mahedi Islam, an international student from Bangladesh, hopes both international and domestic students will consider getting involved with ICBS.

“This is a business club, but it’s open for all majors,” Islam said. “The international student will get the chance to collaborate with domestic students and the domestic student will get the chance to get to know more about different countries and cultures.”

One way ICBS is looking to make an impact beyond the borders of the U.S. is to compete in the Network of International Business Schools (NIBS) Worldwide Case Competition. A team composed of ICBS members will be traveling to Dublin, Ireland next year to compete in the NIBS Worldwide Case Competition.

Durfey noted how ICBS is a unique addition to campus, and how those who get involved will find a welcoming and accepting environment.

“I think a big difference between this club and other clubs within campus is the way that ICBS opens your mind,” Durfey said. “There are so many different perspectives. You can’t be closed minded, and it’s just a really nice community full of supportive people that are going to help you along the way no matter where you are in your journey.”

Durfey continued, “No matter how much you know about business or other cultures or anything, it’s just a way to foster a new type of learning that you can translate through your life no matter where you go. You know, employers love to have people with a worldly view and perspective, and just to be able to grow to be a more beneficial member of society.”

Ferdinando encourages students to follow ICBS on Instagram @icbs_uni, or to email her with any questions at [email protected]

View Comments (1)