On air with KWWL’s Emma’le Maas

CAROLINE CHRISTENSEN
Maas anchors a weekend morning show at KWWL. Maas is an alum of UNI and was the Executive Editor of the Northern Iowan from 2020-2021.

As the countdown begins for a live 7:30 a.m. broadcast, UNI alum Emma’le Maas adjusts her earpiece and locks in on the camera. 

“Good morning and welcome to Today in Iowa… Thank you so much for joining us today, my name is Emma’le Maas.”

A Weekend Morning Anchor and Multimedia Journalist at News 7 KWWL, Emma’le fell in love with storytelling and journalism while at UNI. Majoring in digital media journalism, Emma’le worked as the Executive Editor of the Northern Iowan from 2020-2021, covering topics from elections, the COVID-19 pandemic and sexual harassment scandals. Emma’le began her career at KWWL three years ago and has worked as a producer, reporter and anchor. 

“I really loved it,” Emma’le recalled about her experience interning for KWWL in 2021. “I produced and fake reported a lot. It just felt like this is what I’m supposed to be doing.”

Originally from Buffalo, Iowa, Emma’le prides herself on reporting local community stories while making the news engaging and accessible.

“I’m excited to tell people’s stories and make it creative with the video,” She said. “I love telling the story from the desk and showing different creative ways to express emotion and play with my voice.”

Emma’le originally wanted to pursue a career in teaching, but she quickly changed her major to journalism after student teaching. However, she noted her experience as a student teacher has been beneficial to her career as a news anchor. 

She said, “Since I wanted to be a teacher, I already had so much practice reading aloud to like kids in a classroom. To me it feels like second nature to anchor because it’s like I’m reading to the kids in the class.”

During her time at KWWL, Emma’le has covered both local and national news topics ranging from shootings, house fires, community activism and international politics. 

Emma’le’s advice for recent college graduates is to always advocate for yourself in the workplace, and to know your worth.

“This last year, I’ve really grown a voice for myself,” Emma’le said. “I wish I would have known that in the beginning. They need you more than you need them. Have that mindset of ‘you should be grateful to have me.’”

Watch Emma’le on KWWL at kwwl.com, or on TV on Channel 7.