UNI suffers tough loss to South Dakota State

STEPH STARK
Panthers fall to Jackrabbits ahead of Homecoming matchup against North Dakota.

The UNI Football team struggled to find their footing against the South Dakota State Jackrabbits. The Jackrabbits came out in full force and scored a touchdown right away after the Panthers went three-and-out. The Jackrabbits would quickly find a 14-0 lead after trouble from the Panthers including two fumbles and a quickie three-and-out setting up success for the Jackrabbits. 

UNI would then fumble the ball and then get it back not long after after Jahsiah Galvan forced a fumble, the first of his career, and Tate Sander’s first career recovery. The Panthers would make their way downfield, but quickly find themselves in trouble with an interception and possession back to SDSU. 

The Panther defense came up with a big stop shortly after as Woo Governor forced and recovered a fumble, but UNI would then turn it over with a fumble on the very next play. The Jackrabbits then went on to score with that possession making the score 21-0 Jackrabbits. 

Logan Wolf had a 33-yard reception to take the Panthers downfield, but it would not last long as Theo Day’s pass was picked off for an interception at South Dakota State’s 36-yard-line. The Jackrabbits would keep that momentum and go on to score a field goal to push the score to 24-0. 

The Panthers were hungry to score and did so with less than a minute left in the first half. A 12-yard rush from Zach Brand, a 23-yard reception from Sam Schnee and a 10-yard reception from Desmond Hutson would put the Panthers into field goal range for a 38-yard field goal from Matthew Cook to make the score 24-3.

South Dakota State would keep the momentum going in the second half and had a 74-yard touchdown drive. UNI would gain possession back but quickly punt it after a quick three-and-out, this would then lead the Jackrabbits to a 23-yard touchdown drive. The Panthers would then quickly punt again after another three-and-out, setting the Jackrabbits up for another 43-yard drive, which would then lead to a field goal to enhance the score to 41-3.

The Panthers would then make their way down the field as Day connected to Schnee for a 66-yard reception down to the SDSU 16-yard line. Unable to capitalize on a touchdown, the Panthers settled for a field goal to put the score at 41-6, which would ultimately end up being the final score as the Panthers struggled to find their offensive footing and suffered a tough loss.