Panthers finish 14th at the Cliff Keen Invite

UNI had their hands full at the two-day Cliff Keen Invite this weekend in Las Vegas, NV. With twenty combined wins in the ten separate weight classes, only four wrestlers were able to push their way into the Saturday brackets. Out of those four, three Panthers medaled, placing UNI 14th overall in the tournament.

Panther Dylan Peters started off the invite undefeated in the 125 pound weight class on Friday, winning by fall against No. 9 Nathan Tomasello of Ohio State in 4:36.

Unfortunately, Peters fell to No. 5 Joey Dance of Virginia Tech in 3:20 and forfeited his next two matches, finishing sixth overall.

Jarrett Jensen earned UNI’s only major decision of the invite, finishing Friday with four wins and a loss in the 157 pound weight class. 

Although he fought hard the day before, Jensen lost to No. 20 Justin Staudenmayer on Saturday by a 4-1 decision and did not place overall.

The only tech fall of the invite came from Cooper Moore in the 165 pound weight class. Moore went undefeated on Friday, including No. 11 Taylor Massa of Michigan by medical forfeit.  

Saturday morning, Moore lost to No. 2 Nick Sulzer from Virginia by 13-6, but won his next match and finished fourth overall with a loss to No. 3 Michael Moreno from Iowa State by fall.

Heavyweight Blaize Cabell won his first two matches on Friday, but lost his third to No. 2 Nick Gwiazdowski from North Carolina State. Moving into the Saturday bracket, Cabell won his first match against Michael Hughes from Hofstra with a fall in 3:25, but lost his next two matches, placing 8th overall.

UNI also competed in the Buena Vista Open this weekend in Storm Lake, IA. Wrestlers Josh Alber, Jake Koethe, Taylor Berger and Adarios Jones all titled in the 133, 141, 165 and 265 weight classes respectively. 

This coming weekend, Saturday Dec. 13, UNI will host their own open in the UNI Dome starting at 9 a.m..